Wednesday 21 February 2018

Year 2083 - Lesley Cartwright - #unsettledgallery

Lesley Cartwright, #unsettledgallery No.2
Small World Futures is a collection of 38 miniature sculptures depicting what life could look like in years to come. Each of these small artworks will be placed in public spaces (#unsettledgallery) around London Bridge. Every day throughout February we will be featuring one of these worlds here on the website. A writer will also use the world as inspiration to create something new and fresh, their words describing the shape of a new world.

Today we discover the Small World Future of....Lesley Cartwright
The year is 2083.....

It's a Charlie World! He keeps lookin' at me.
It's Charlie's World! It ain't easy him seeing me.
If I was him, I'd hate me too.
He watching me in park bay like it's 82!
I'd hate him but he's making me the news,
I'll shank you CAT!
That night in 82 the parking lot was stacked,
I grabbed my Shade and got my eyes stamped black.
I could barely walk around 'cos the city is pack.
I walked to the mezz and lit off some black spats - BAP! BAP! BAP!
Dead cats, tired of gettin' spied on by mean cats.
I'd hate to be a wrong kid, but now you seen my tru-light?
I know you have, 'cos your eyes are ticking like a hitbomb!
My head lit more than Tom Tom!
These scenes, I run these.
I need the hide 'n shout "Stop looking at me Dummy!"

Ed Arantus


Lesley Cartwright
You can find Lesley Cartwright's Small World Future at #unsettledgallery No.2, beside a downpipe on Melior Street and next to the Horseshoe Inn. If you can find it then you can take it home, or perhaps you will leave it for someone else to discover.



Lesley Cartwright was born in Liverpool but later moved to Essex to run a Hostel for homeless teenagers. She made her name in the commercial graphic field and music photography until she developed MS and now paints portraits from her Billericay studio. Cartwright is a multitalented artist who is not bound by genre nor convention. The work you see here is an extension of a fabulous Pokémon Go project where she knitted small versions of Pokémon characters and left them in public places for collectors to find. Cartwright has been exhibiting with CollectConnect since the Cardboard City exhibition in 2013.
https://twitter.com/ley9

Ed Arantus is no stranger to art and writing, he first published his work in the Censored Zine (July 2010) and has exhibited his work ever since at venues like the Contemporary Arts Research Unit in Oxford (2014). Last year he exhibited his poem 'Google If' at the Museum of Futures as part of the Enemies Project.
http://edarantus.blogspot.co.uk/




No comments:

Post a Comment